Saturday 18 January 2014

So , I've finally managed to get back around to writing my blog. Its been an interesting couple of days, toing and froing with Wikipedia as regards changes an individual made to an article on there about my credentials. In spite of offering all my qualifications - along with my registration number approved by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care within the 'Psychological Therapies,' my BACP registration and many sources to validate my work these were persistently removed. In fact the only one that remained was an article that noted me as a 'pop Psychologist!'
The internet is a powerful tool and in that hands of nasty people can cause immense distress.
I have always been transparent about my qualifications, I am not a Phd (in spite of the Director of the Manchester Counselling Psychology Phd, where I lecture a couple of times a year consistently nudging me to do one), I have never felt that I needed to.
I love my work in therapy and I am very highly qualified. I am also employed as a private Psychologist and employed on screen as one.
What is my crime? Well yes, I haven't committed one, in fact I am totally transparent in my work.
The fact that an individual in Australia decided that they didn't agree with me using my legally entitled title 'Psychologist' led to what has been a couple of the most frustrating and upsetting days of my recent years.
My wonderful P.A and partner immediately contacted Wikapedia to explain that so far as we considered our page had been hacked and that libellous (thanks brother of mine who is a qualified Barrister) information including suggesting i was a 'self proclaimed psychologist' with no qualifications and an Entrepreneur (which I really wish I was) had been maliciously posted.
Well that was a mistake! Immediately my partner was attacked and told that he was in the wrong for using these terms (remember, we know nothing about the etiquette of Wikapedia and were on the 'talk' to ask for help after genuinely believing that libellous and malicious content was being posted)
What began as us believing someone would look and note that this was the case, turned into my partner staying up all night trying to put the correct info on the site; which was immediately removed and replaced by one damming article by a woman called Margaret McCartney, a G.P  who was given all my qualifications, only to omit my advanced diploma in Counselling and Masters in Counselling, instead saying i was a 'graduate' of psychology....(which i am by the way, but i have higher degrees too). In fact I am still awaiting a response from her and the BMJ as she needs to amend these facts. Even more odd is that this G.P feels she is an authority on Psychology and wrote about me in a medical journal which has nothing to do with my discipline. Mind you this is the woman who also suggested that smears for cervical cancer were a waste of time (tell that my mother who by the way survived it thanks to a smear at the age of 44).
By the way, at this point in the argument my partner was pulled up for his spelling and punctuation (considering it was at this point 3am in the morning and i was snoring i think he did bloody well).
This argument is  still going on by the way, feel free to look at the history where we offer inordinate amounts of links that counteract the claims, degrees and higher degrees, registration and awarding bodies which are immediately removed.
You see the really scary lesson I have learnt here is that somewhere in Australia, there is a very angry individual who absolutely loathes me. This individual also has a group of other angry individuals who go out of their way to discredit people. These are all editors for Wikapedia, a group of people who should have decorum, honesty and integrity at their core; don't get me wrong, before this, we found some of these individuals beyond helpful and they added vast amounts of info for me.
Also, the very odd individual who spent hours blocking our honest info also exposed my partners details, which is in direct contravention of Wikapedia ethics and also posted his Facebook, sound cloud and twitter accounts.
Whilst I have every intention of dealing with that individual, the point is that for me the event showed how even when you are completely transparent about who you are, what you do, the qualifications that you have, and the registration you can demonstrate, someone with a little bit of power can try to ruin you.
I don't hide anything, the production companies I work for, the clients I am privileged to work with, the corporate brands I help and endorse ALL have my qualifications and all think I am excellent at what I do.
I have written this article because Wikapedia is genuinely a site I fully trusted, I go on it all the time as an information base. To discover that it is controlled at times by fabulous individuals who are genuinely helpful and pleasant; no doubt wanting the company to remain credible, and at other times really nasty people has been a disturbing experience.
So, next time you log on to read about that famous celebrity, or to find out that piece of interesting history, remember anyone can edit Wikapedia ,and in my case a very nasty Australian who chooses to hide and delete the facts.


9 comments:

  1. Em doesn't have to defend herself in any way at all. She is a true inspiration to anyone that comes into contact with her. Everyone has critics, but some are better left ignored. I personally listen to Em on a regular basis and gain knowledge from her skill set. As a Regional Director for a global firm, I regularly take part and head conferences and find inspiration in Emma's brilliant interpersonal skills which help me perform to the best of my ability. You don't need to know Em to know that she is a completely genuine, intelligent and humble lady. Anyone with a degree of wisdom can see that. Knowledge is power and Em has that in abundance. I find her fascinating and infectious. I even told her this on an email which she kindly replied to.

    Carry on as you are Em.

    Adam M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I recently listened to her on the radio spouting off uninformed personal view after another. Even the grammar and punctuation in the text above is all over the place, with no meaningful flow or narrative. Having an undergraduate degree in a topic does not qualify one to be introduced as a representative professional of a certain discipline. This was apparent from the rambling nature of the discussion and lack of citation to relevent theory or evidence; merely personal views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on Scott C. I've said this before about pop psychologists like ek, who provide advice based only on personal views/experience and no real psychological theory or principle. I object to their representation of 'psychologist' because they have not gone through the rigorous process of training one needs in order to work as a psychologist. I know 'psychologist' is not a protected title but having done an undergrad degree does not qualify you to work as one. Nor do counselling qualifications, which ek refers to. I think this is a simple question of ethics in relation to being honest with the public. Having an opinion does not make you a psychologist either. She's not on the BPS or HCPC registers, and yet those of us who believe in upholding psychology to the highest standards are required to register through their qualifications in order to practise.

      Delete
    2. Completely agree with you Th'Robster.
      Counselling qualifications and a psychology degree make you a counsellor, not a psychologist. It's infrutuating that people can call themselves a psychologist without going through the rigorous training. I have done a psychology degree and psychology masters myself and have a diploma in cognitive behavioural therapist. I would never dream of calling myself a psychologist. The psychology undergraduate degree in no way prepares you to be a practising psychologist. It is purely academic.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion she is a greedy person who is more interested in making sh*t loadsa £££££££££ from being on tv than she is helping people but then i don't believe she is qualified to help people other wise she would do that for people who need help in the real world. But then all that botox and surgery isn't going to pay for itself

    ReplyDelete
  5. Em I live in Australia. I am a University of Manchester graduate. I love your insight and knowledge of your subject. You are so informative, an inspiration to watch. Best Wishes ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is difficult when you work so hard to qualify as a psychologist, which I did. I started my undergrad in 1994 and completed my DClin in 2002!! Just watching “Murdered by my daughter’ I don’t know Emma personally and I wish her well but it is annoying and it is definitely pop psychology. There is a clinical psychologist (American) who sounds like a psychologist but Emma really doesn’t. I do think it is a classic example of entitlement and I have to add white privileged. Which is unfortunate 😞

    ReplyDelete